A Furniture Warranty you CAN Live with
Score for your Decor! You’re loving that clean look you see on the latest decorating sites but are afraid to take that white couch leap because the tendency of your Labs to leap on you after their walks no matter where you’re sitting. And you’re worried about the new wood coffee table you got for a pretty penny because of your kids’ (and their friends’) frequent forgetting to use coasters or magazines under their drinks. And so, you’re starting to think “accidents” and “furniture protection plan,” as you wish to keep your nest your happy place. With the chocolate covered neighborhood rugrats who pop in for visits here and there to your toddler’s inclination toward finding lipsticks, the struggle is real.
Let’s paint a picture. Boom, your arm knocks against a wine glass. Your white couch gets covered in red stains. If you know anything about wine stains, you know those stains are likely permanent.
One simple mistake and now you’re out hundreds to thousands of dollars. But there is an alternative. A way that saves you from your own mistakes, and the mistakes of others. They’re called furniture protection plans.
So while manufacturer protection plans are worth the money, third-party protection plans are the better option. Given the choice, go with the third-party plan. Let’s look at 5 reasons why this is the option to go with.
1. You Have Pets
Furniture protection plans can keep your furniture safe from animal damage. Most plans cover pet damage (though you should always double check the coverage before purchasing a plan).
Everyone loves their dog or cat; some people even love their rabbit or ferret. While we love our furry friends and want our homes to be as much theirs as ours, sometimes they will leave a not-so-cute lasting impression on our furniture. Whether it’s a cat scratching up your favorite recliner or your dog staining your beautiful velvet couch, pets of all species increase your risk of furniture damage.
However, cats scratch, pee, and knock things over, while dogs pee, bite, and dig things. Owning an animal is asking for furniture damage. You can’t really blame the animal for acting on its instincts, but you can protect your furniture.
If the damage caused by pets is the one circumstance swaying you towards purchasing furniture coverage, be 100% sure that the insurance plan you are contemplating will offer that coverage.
2. You Have Kids
Not everyone has kids, but a large majority of people at some point in their life plan on having children. What’s more, your friend might have kids and bring them to your house. And while we’re sure everyone’s children are well-behaved angels, accidents happen. They’re still kids, after all.
Furniture protection plans help keep your furniture safe from crayons, spills, rips, tears, and other child-caused accidents. Even the best-behaved kids can cause damage. Whether your child is flinging paint in creative bliss or accidentally spilling their sippy cup, a furniture protection plan can keep your investments looking flawless. Be sure to find a plan that covers all of the tears, spills and stains that can be caused by even the most well-behaved children. With the safety net of a furniture protection plan, you can let your kids be kids without the worry of destroying your furniture (or at least being able to repair or replace it for free when they do).
3. Furniture Is Expensive
Yes, this is pretty obvious, but designer furniture is expensive. If you are a young college student with a cheap hand-me-down futon and a jury-rigged bookshelf, then purchasing a furniture protection plan is not for you.
However, for those whose furniture is an investment, a work of art, a one-of-a-kind priceless family heirloom, or something you simply don’t want to have to purchase ever again, then a furniture protection plan will give you peace of mind. Big furniture items—like couches, chairs, tables, and sideboards—are not like clothes or groceries. They are infrequently purchased and come with the hope of lasting a lifetime.
Furniture protection plans keep your investment safe. Quality furniture can last a lifetime, but only if you take care of your investment. There’s no reason to let accidents ruin what would otherwise last a lifetime.
4. Accidents Happen
Accidents happen. Yes, we’re stating the obvious. However, people all too often dismiss accidents and think “it won’t happen to me,” or “what are the chances?” You are having a housewarming cocktail party and invited all of your friends. You can’t wait to show off your new, beautifully designed living room filled with high-end, stylish furniture. And then someone got tipsy....tripped over your cat - you see the picture?
Insurance means not worrying about spilling that glass of wine. When it spills, there’s no anger and no frustration, just the knowledge that accidents aren’t a big deal and that you’re covered.
5. Even Manufacturers Make Mistakes
Manufacturers aren’t perfect. Even the most reputable manufacturers can create a product with defects. While some defects are instantly noticeable, others may not become apparent until after the return policy window has ended.
The point being, defects aren’t always noticeable. Furniture protection plans can cover defective furniture. Your protection plan can replace or mend your defective furniture.
Choosing Your Protection Plan
Choosing your own furniture protection plan isn’t always straightforward. You’ll need to understand your options and weigh which plan is right for you. Though we do recommend third-party protection plans. They offer flexible, comprehensive coverage that you can’t get from manufacturer plans.
Do you need the most extensive plan? Something that covers hardwood? What about fabric? Which you should purchase depends on your own unique wants and needs.
When choosing your plan, always select more coverage than you think you’ll need. Overprotecting your furniture is always better than risking your investment.
So if you’re in the market for a furniture protection plan, consider CPS (Consumer Priority Service)
Here at LOOMLAN, we interviewed several protection plans offering business and unanimously agreed on CPS. Let me just put it this way - if any of us, here at LOOMLAN, were considering a protection plan for our own purchase - we would go with CPS.
Feel free to reach out to CPS directly, they have a team of experts on staff that would love to help you get the best plan for your needs. They have years of experience and know which plans are likely to offer you the most value for your money.
Furniture Extended Warranty Protection FAQ
Who completes repairs on my furniture?
- After your claim is approved, we will send a local authorized service person to your house on a day that works for you.
What happens if the service center cannot repair my furniture?
- If we cannot repair your furniture, we will provide you with a check for the current market value of your furniture.
What doesn’t this plan cover?
- This plan does not cover intentional damage, theft, vandalism, acts of God, or damages incurred before or during shipping. It does not cover pet scratches, vermin or insect infestation, mold, mildew, rot, or rust.
What does the CPS furniture extended warranty cover?
- This plan covers any mattress; wood or hard surface furniture; and fabric, leather, and vinyl upholstery. This plan covers any accidental stains, and manufacturer flaws and defects, as well as accidental punctures, rips, burns, breakage of frames, springs, sleeper mechanisms, and internal mechanisms and hardware.
How many claims can I file?
- As long as your warranty has not expired, you can file as many claims as you like.
How do I file a claim for my furniture?
- You can file a claim by signing into your account on cpscentral.com and clicking file claim, or alternatively by giving us a call at 1 (800) 905-0443.
Does this plan cover furniture purchased outside of the United States?
- Yes. The plan is valid globally.
Does the Furniture coverage start on the date of purchase, or is it an extended warranty plan?
- The CPS Accidental Furniture Warranty coverage begins on the end user’s date of purchase. For example, if the customer purchases a piece of furniture with a 5 year CPS plan, they will receive 5 total years from date of purchase. There is a 30 days claims hold to prevent DOAs or manufacturer defects, and CPS coverage will begin on day 31. Any claims that occur during that first 30 days would not be covered under this plan.
Does my warranty end after the furniture is repaired?
- No, it does not. Your warranty continues until you have paid the maximum liability of your furniture (the original cost of the furniture.)
Can I transfer the warranty to a new user?
- Yes, you can. Contact CPS by giving us a call at 1 (800) 905-0443, and our customer experience team will be able to help you transfer your warranty to a new owner. A small $25.00 transfer fee applies.